Polaris Industries has announced an all new GEM lineup of vehicles for model year 2016. According to John Stockman, GEM director at Polaris. “The all-new GEM takes what our customers already love about these vehicles and improves the ergonomics, ride and range. We’ve also added more comfort and safety features to provide an even better experience for both rider and driver, with the added benefit of just $.03 per mile cost of ownership.” Some of key features for the all new GEM include:
- Aluminum chassis that passes SAE roof-crush-test standards
- Front-wheel disc brakes
- Automotive style suspension
- High-back forward-facing seats
- 3-point seat belts
- Automotive glass windshield
- LED signal lights
- Optional RiderX app provides free access to road maps
- Smart Power which matches the power to the task with the ability to choose the best combination of battery and charge options.
- Optional Li-ion battery
- The eL XD model offers a recessed bed option to lower loading height and maximize hauling capability, and a tailgate ramp.
There are seven models in the product line. There are three passenger vehicles, the e2, e4 and e6, as well as four utility vehicles, the eL XD, eM 1400, eM 1400 LSV and the Polaris M1400. The Polaris M1400 is a gas powered vehicle. Pricing starts at $8,999 for the GEM e2 and increases to $12,999 for the GEM eL XD. A range of factory installed options are available including but not limited to in-windshield defrost, electronic power steering, integrated doors and a full range of rear carrier options. Learn more: Polaris.com
Comment: I spoke with a GEM dealer who has some limited knowledge of the vehicles at this point and he gave me his first impressions:
- The redesigned doors are the most significant improvement, addressing hardware problems, water intrusion, ease of entry/exit, line of sight issues and lack of availability for 6 passenger models.
- The redesigned interior addresses driver comfort issues with more legroom and headroom.
- The new AGM and Lithium ion battery options are a significant improvement and allow for better matching of batteries to vehicle application.
- The additional options for the popular eL XD model will allow for more customization for the wide variety of uses for which customers currently use the vehicle.