PRO XD Overview
Last month Polaris Commercial launched their new PRO XD utility vehicle line. The line includes the PRO XD 2000D 2WD, the PROXD 2000D 4WD and the PRO XD 4000D 4WD. All three vehicles are purpose-built for work and are powered by a 898cc, 3-cylinder Kubota diesel engine. Polaris is engineered features to target three key areas they believe are necessary for work vehicles: durability, serviceability and safety.
For durability they designed a rigid chassis, a rust and dent resistant composite bed that can fit a full-size pallet, a heavy-duty sealed driveline, a reinforced seat with heavy-duty seat material and 26″ job site tires.
To improve serviceability Polaris:
- Extended the maintenance intervals to 200 hours
- Improved vehicle fault alarms for low oil, parking brake engagement, belt burn and engine overheat to identify problems earlier
- Designed side access for dipstick and air filter servicing
- Use front air intake for cleaner air and longer filter life
- Integrated Polaris Pulse Connector to simplify accessory installation and improve uplift possibilities
For safety the PRO XD vehicles include:
- Orange seat belts and vehicle decals to improve work site visibility
- Backup alarm, horn and parking brake
- System where the vehicle starts only in Park with brake enabled
- Wide foot wells for easier entry and egress
- Speed limited to 26 mph or as low was 15 mph
- Engine Braking System for hill descending
- Fully sealed cab
Features and Specs
Common features and specs across all three vehicles include:
- 24.5 hp, 898cc, 3-cylinder Kubota diesel engine
- Engine Braking System
- Automatic PVT transmission
- 1,250 lb. cargo box
- 2,500 lb. towing capacity
- 11″ of ground clearance
- 9″ of front and rear suspension travel
- 26″ Duro DI-2042 Power Grip tires
- 4-wheel hydraulic brakes
- 55W low/ 60W high, LED Tail
- Kevlar backed seat material
- Tilt steering
- Digital Gauge
The PRO XD 2000D AWD adds an all-wheel drive Ultra Turf drive system while he PRO XD 4000D AWD is the same but seats four and comes equipped with electronic power steering. The PRO XD 2000D 2WD starts at $14,599 the 2000D AWD at $16,099 and the 4000D AWD at $17,749. In addition, Polaris offers two standard accessories packages. The Work Package adds a poly roof, poly windshield, strobe light, air filter restriction gauge and wide angle rearview mirror. The Work Package with Cab System includes the same package plus doors, engine block heater, heater defrost kit and rear panel.
The new PRO XD vehicles are an improved version of basic work UTVs and replace the lower priced and lesser equipped Brutus vehicles. Last year Polaris Commercial discontinued the lower priced and less featured vehicles of their Brutus line, another work oriented UTV line, due to lagging sales, . In contrast, they kept Brutus HD PTO Deluxe, a fully equipped vehicle with a starting price of $24,099 which apparently sold well compared to the lesser equipped vehicles. According to earnings calls, the Brutus line did not quite live up to high sales expectations. In part because in the commercial UTV segment there is a different type of customer, sales process and sales cycle. Typically, a powersports dealer network does not serve this segment well.
Also, the Brutus uses a Kohler diesel engine and the PRO XD vehicles a Kubota. In the past Polaris did not have as much success developing their own diesel engines. They eventually switched to outside vendors. This makes sense since their volume of diesel powered UTVs is small compared to their overall sales. Development resources are better used elsewhere, and their diesel vehicles are improved by using an outside vendor specializing in developing high quality diesel engines.